February has nearly come to end, but until now there is no sign of invitation, news or even saying hello from Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation, a liquidity management company set up by Islamic Financial Service Board (IFSB). They announce in December that I am among the ones recruited to become member of Sharia Board together with other highly respected scholars. News about the establishment of the institution is wordwide, and I was congratulated by everyone. I just want to use this chance to thanks Allah for the trust He bestows upon me. This is the heaviest task I ever have so far, heavier than when I was member of Sharia Advisory Council of Securities Commission Malaysia.
I wish Dr. Zeti (Governor, Bank Negara Malaysia) initiator of this corporation would say for the second time that "I am too junior for the task", and then I will automatically be out of sight. This was exactly happened when IFSB was established in 2003 and Pak Sjahrir Sabirin offered my name to her as a technical committee member for setting up standards. Her reply is simple, Cecep is too junior. She might say so due to low position I held, because, as was seen months later, the technical committee consist of people who hold at least director level.
Since then my name never comes up as member of any working group, technical committee or any team, except sharia working group, which was set up 7 years after establishment of IFSB. During the time, I have become "station officer" who should be ready -all the time- to answer questions from my colleagues, who were members of working groups, and were on the meeting outside the country (KL, Dubai, London, sometimes Luxemburg) since they are not even sure about their own competency in Islamic banking products, let alone the sharia matters.
It is not my intention to pry out the past. It is just a reminder to everyone that someone with a high position should be careful with his words, especially when it is concerning someone's career and work. A simple and light expression from the highest position holder people might have a dire implication to low position holder people, eventhough they are in different and remote institutions. They might not feel anything because of their chatting but the result caused by the chat will bear a big consequence for people under them.
May Allah lead our leaders to His way.
Wallahu A'lam.
No comments:
Post a Comment