Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Misperception...the root of all problem

This morning I was called personally by a boss, head of bureau. I never think what will be discussed but I guess it would be a chatting about my recent failure to be poromoted to a senior researcher position in our department. And my guess is damned correct.

He apologized for not choosing me for the position. Nor did he mention about the result of our interview (we were 3 candidates against one position). He just told me that he is preparing a certain team consisting of sharia people, where I and other sharia friends can join, although it is not a binding promise. He ask me not to blame old people in this organization because they had recruited me from and for sharia specialties.

What could I reply? It is already decided and we already became the victims. The victims are always considered to make an apology if they make a resistance. But I have to write this, just to inform everyone and to confirm our colleagues' conclusion, that selection of people for promotion is not only based on performance or competency. There are always non technical factors determining one's fate in his career.

Firstly, it seems that this organization has followed misperception about me from the very beginning. And it has been held for 10 years! (What a pity and what an injustice) To think that I am sharia people is good peerception. But to perceive I am a sharia people and ONLY KNOW SHARIA, and not capable of doing any other thing, is a disaster! This misperception has been so deep rooted in the people's mind in this department so that they seems become what we called in Micreconomic jargon as myopid. During 10 years of my work in this organization, I have been a bank supervisor, bank examiner, analyst in liecencing and also researcher. And if they see my certificate, actually I am a master-degree holder in Economic Development. That's why I master in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Statistics, Econometric and other quantitative subjects. I mastered in Arabic and Fiqh Muamala because there was a requirement to learn those subject, due to our presence in an Islamic University! And with all these requirement, those people still held that I am only sharia man? How blind those eyes are.

Second, to postpone people from their promotion just because they will provide "special boxes" for me and other sharia people, so that they become such a "consultative team", is a BIG LIE. Because, all of us in this big organization know from the very beginning, that Human Resource Department has "vowed" (and boasted everywhere) that they will find the best people to every position. Then, why for this position they did not apply the same strategy? Why they choose to set aside sharia people for a box that might never exist? I remember such a box has been promised by deputi governor, (the highest officer in our organization after governor), since I was recruited. It means it has been 10 years a go. Then what is a good reason to believe that, such a promise will be fulfilled, while it comes only from a lips of a head of bureau?

Thirdly, those people might be biased for "equalizing" all sharia people. They think that sharia people are similar; if one of them is stupid, then the other are as stupid as the first one; and if one of them fail, then the other should fail too. And if one sharia people is promoted then the other should receive the same treatment. I never understand how an experienced people like those doctors and masters in Human Resource Department cannot see a difference among the people? Why can they differentiate among supervisors and cannot do the same for sharia people?
I do not have any pretention to say that I am better than any other people. But it is a universal law that if you want to choose anyone to a certain position you should have their difference in detail. Otherwise, you have to become a fool (or a dictator), who will promote or leave them all.

Should I be angry with all this injustice? The answer is no need. I have been treated injusticely for 5 years when I was working in a bank before, and has been treated the same thing for 10 years in this big and "esteemed" organization. Why should I be angry now? Don't we have God that will calculate everything, not only in the hereafter, but also in the worldly life?

What I am worry is that a sharia theory about injustice will become true and existed.
- Those people who did injustice to other people will be treated the same way by other people from third party.
- If those who did injustice to people is an organization, then the organization will also be receiving unfair treatment by other organization. (Remember about Century case?)

Allah know the best
"Verily I render my sorrow and hurt to Allah alone. He is The Mighty Judge"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tragedi 2015: Ramadhan Berduka

Tulisan ini saya posting disini tepat hari ulang tahun ke 61 saya, 18 Desember 2025. Seperti yang saya bilang, saya sudah memaafkan, tapi sa...